Covers volumes 17-23 of Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya
The curse has finally broken! And did you hear there’s going to be a new Fruits Basket anime?! Great. We don’t talk about that on this podcast! (This is a manga podcast, after all. And this episode was recorded before the announcement.) But don’t worry, massive Furuba fan and Anime News Network editor Jacob Chapman and Shojo & Tell host Ashley find plenty to talk about in the last third of the series (this concludes our trilogy of podcasts!). Jacob explains why Akito is such a compelling character, and he and Ashley delve into the series’ handling of gender overall. But most importantly, Jacob and Ashley finally get to talk about ALL THE SHIPS (including some that didn’t sail) in the most massive Shipping Corner to date. Obviously, Kyo and Tohru OTP.
NOTE: Apologies for the subpar audio quality in this episode. The Skype connection was worse than usual, and unfortunately Jacob’s local track was corrupted. There is at least one instance where Jacob cut out for several seconds. It is easy to infer what he said from where he picks up, but it’s still not great. Sorry again!
- Announcement about the new Fruits Basket anime
- Fruits Basket is available from Yen Press in a very nice collector’s edition
- Fruits Basket Another is also available from Yen Press
- The original 2001 Fruits Basket anime is available from Funimation
- Jacob’s Fruits Basket radio drama can still be listened to here
- An in-depth Twitter thread from Jacob comparing Yen Press’ editions to the original Tokyopop releases
- You can stream Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Crunchyroll
- Banana Fish is available from Viz Media. We did podcasts about it.
- Outro song: “For Fruits Basket” by AmaLee (an English cover of the Fruits Basket anime opening). Download this song and AmaLee’s other great covers in iTunes here.
- Jacob on Twitter: @itsbonedaddy
- Shojo & Tell on Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook
- Ashley on Twitter: @AshMcD00